1917 - 1990
Le Guay was born in Sydney and began his photographic career in 1935
as an assistant in Dayne portrait studios.
in local and overseas salons from 1936. Le Guay established his own
studio in Martin Place in 1938 and became a member of the Sydney
Camera Circle and of the Contemporary Camera Groupe.
World War II Le Guay served as a war photographer in the RAAF on
Before returning to Sydney to establish a new
studio, Le Guay spent a brief period in London documenting plastic
surgery for burn victims.
1946 Le Guay re-established a studio, firstly in George Street and
later in the old Smith’s Weekly
building. He was soon involved with running a photography school
and founded Contemporary Photography
in 1946, the first photographic magazine not published by a photo
In 1947 Le Guay entered into partnership with John
a new studio in Castlereagh Street. Their studio specialised
in fashion and commercial illustration, although Le Guay worked on
for the Geographical Society in northern and central Australia.
also accompanied the first post-war expedition to Antarctica
in 1948 for the Department of Information. Prior to his departure
made a film on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Guay and Nisbett closed their studio in 1972 and afterwards Le Guay
own photography and worked as an honorary
Australian Photography magazine publications: Australian
Photography 76 (1977) and Australian Photography -
a contemporary view (1978).
With characteristic energy and adventure, Le Guay spent much
of 1974 sailing around the world in a yacht with friends. Sailing
in 1975, recorded this trip.
1980, Le Guay published a book on Australian Aboriginals, Shadows
in a Landscape.
1963 Le Guay was awarded the Commonwealth Medal for his work in photography
and his activities as an editor, lecturer
member of professional organisations.
text based on Gaël Newton's Silver & Grey
Angus and Roberston, Australia 1980